Friday, January 28, 2011

IVORY HOMES! Let the adventure begin!

I'm ready to embrace an AWESOME opportunity!
{This is ONE OF THOSE JOURNAL ENTRIES}
I walked into the office at Ivory and left their employee off to begin pursuing a real estate license.
Talking to Steve was so impressive. When I walked into the office he had already decided to hire me and those were the first words out of his mouth! We skipped the typical "go over the resume" process and he asked about how I felt about doing the mundane, everyday work that leads to the sale.

Throughout the "interview" I found that not only did he want to hire me, but he wanted to hire me for the position I'd dreamed of: "Sales Consultant." Last night I told my parents I think he's hiring me for this job but out of these four, I'd wish to be a sales consultant. As he told me about the job, he cleared up every worry I thought of (e.g. the commute) without me mentioning it!

He told me about his years at Franklin Covey and we happily discussed principles from 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. This type of a "stretching" that comes from changing my life to encompass "character ethics" rather than "personality ethics" was so important for me --- and really what I was hoping to learn in the next year. As explained by Stephen Covey, "The Character Ethic taught that there are basic principles of effective living, and that people can only experience true success and enduring happiness as they learn and integrate these principles into their basic character." In contrast, Personality Ethics taught that "success [was] more a function of personality, of public image, of attitudes and behaviors, skills, and techniques, that lubricate the processes of human interaction" (e.g. "smiling wins more friends that frowning" and "your attitude determines your altitude." I believe that success in life comes from humility as C.S. Lewis talked about it --- genuinely caring about others. For this new year that is what I want to focus on! This relates so well to character living that I want to integrate these principles into my character even better than before. This means taking time for people. It means spending the weekend with Dan's parents and really focusing on people when I'm on the phone with them instead of using that time to check my gmail.

I guess that's a bit of the reason I'd like the job; in addition, it matches my personality SO well!
Dan wants me to write this part as he says it:
"This is Dan's opinion so I'm not being prideful. I learned from working with Wilson's, RPM, and now Ivory that professionals see an innate ability to sell and 'a one in a million girl.' Mr. Wilson said I have a mix of bubbly personality, ability to relate to others, but with savvy to see it through.
Second, I have grown up in real estate. It's what my dad's entire side of the family does. Every one of my uncles is an appraiser (not to mention my grandma, grandpa, and dad)! I grew up loving business trips with my father and we talked about finances and investing the entire time.
When I was 14 I invested in mobile homes and LOVED working with people in the housing business, showing and finding a buyer for the mobile homes :)
It's been my passion! In the week since I dropped my classes, reading about investing and getting passive income from properties is what I've devoted my time to. That's my true interest and talent so this is the perfect way to develop it and use it to bless us."
That was all Dan's wording. I haven't ever completely excelled in one specific thing (e.g. dance, oil painting, running) but I have a personality that flips between activities and is completely devoted to them but just for a short while. I found this was very good in dating but bad for a profession like being a professor where you're an expert in one field for the rest of your life. I was wondering the other day how a professor could ever possibly find something and commit to it and stick to it for the rest of their life! However, this is an advantage to Real Estate because I meet new people every day and they each have a unique story and I can relate to many situations (e.g travel, kids with illnesses or special needs, business, law etc.) really well because I have a surface knowledge of so many experiences.
Also, it allows me to make a lot of money early in a career without a ton of schooling so Dan and I can fulfill our passive income goals.

I am so incredibly blessed! Just when I was so ready for life to be figured out the Lord brought into my life this great job! I could not have imagined a better fit for Dan and me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment