Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Recipe: Green and Green Beans Salad with Wild Blueberry Dressing


Our delicious dinner: 

Greens and Green Beans Salad with Wild Blueberry Dressing

As I write this, I’m sweating in humid, positively sweltering, I just want to jump in a pool, July weather. A fresh salad with fruit is just what I want to eat for lunch these days (in addition to yummy, ice packed smoothies).  I’ve been on a blueberry kick pretty much since blueberries came in season and I often add them to my salads. I created this salad yesterday after a long day walking through New York City (my legs were so sore!).  The salad was marvelous as was lying down in the comfort of my air-conditioned apartment afterwards.  I knew I had to share this recipe with ya’ll.  I just wish the air wasn’t so humid. It’s simply not curly hair friendly! 
Blueberries. Flickr: brx0
Salad Ingredients:
½ pound small fresh green beans, trimmed
½ cup blueberries
1 head red or green leaf lettuce, roughly chopped
1/3 cup chopped red onion
1/3 cup raw pecans

Dressing ingredients:
½ cup blueberries
¼ cup unsweetened almond milk, plus more if needed
2 tablespoons tahini
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 medjool date, pitted

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add green beans and cook until crisp-tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl of ice water until chilled, and then drain again.

To make dressing, purée 1/2 cup blueberries, almond milk, tahini, lemon juice and date in a blender; add more almond milk, if needed, to reach desired consistency. Transfer to a large bowl, add lettuce and green beans and toss well. Transfer salad to plates and scatter, blueberries, onion and pecans over the top. 

No comments:

Post a Comment